Efficient warehouse packaging is essential if you want to keep your consumers happy and your products protected from damage.
Almost every product ordered online will come in some form of warehouse packaging. With global logistics now at the forefront of the warehouse industry, international businesses can carry out purchases in an instant, even on the other side of the world.
Warehouse packaging is fundamental when it comes to smooth logistics. If you haven’t got a polished plan in place, efficient logistical operations are out of the question. Packaging is at the heart of it all. It improves not only the process of handling products but warehousing overall, information, transportation and inventory management.
In this blog, we discuss the importance of efficient warehouse packaging and how you can use it to the best advantage.
The low down
If you have enough time on your hands, you can handle warehouse packaging yourself. However, with the expectations of your business as a whole, it can become stressful to go it alone. Many companies choose to outsource. As mentioned above, packaging plays a crucial role in logistics, both in delivery and storage solutions.
Warehouse packaging options
- Air shrink packaging – When you apply heat, shrink wrap shrinks tightly over the product.
- Skin packaging – A heated film is draped over a product and onto an underlying layer, and a vacuum then draws the film down onto the package, securing it.
- Stretch wrapping – A highly stretchable plastic film wrapped around items. The elastic keeps the items together.
- Blister packaging – Several types of pre-formed plastic packaging used for small consumer goods such as lip balm, foods, and pharmaceuticals.
- Overwrapping – Applied over an item or over another form of packaging made from plastic or paper.
- Clamshell packaging – A clamshell is a one-piece container consisting of two halves joined by a hinge area which allows the structure to come together to close to store products such as fruit.
With the 2017 consumer, fast delivery is no longer considered a perk, but a standard procedure. With a proper packaging solution in place, quick delivery is clearly in sight. The key is to let the packaging do the talking and handle products as little as possible. By including detailed labelling and correct information on warehouse packaging, you can ensure product handling will lessen, from receiving the product in the warehouse to delivery. Saving warehouse staff time, money and reduces risk.
- Deliver products safely and securely.
- Consumers receive the products safely and securely.
- Hazardous materials are as safe as possible and conform with best practices.
- Recycle and reuse packaging materials.
- Extend the life of shipped goods.
- Increase effectiveness of storage facility, especially warehouse space.
All great things come at a price. But that doesn’t mean they have to be costly. Costs of materials can differ depending on:
- The size of the parcel.
- The type of package.
- Storage needs.
- Materials used.
- Shipping requirements.
- Nature of content.
- Method of transport.
The use of efficient packaging materials can save warehouses a considerable amount of money. Amazon is an excellent example of this, their reusable packaging solutions and processes prove to be useful with both receivers and shippers. If you choose to go it alone when it comes to warehousing responsibilities, you must invest in reliable, modern solutions that are re-usable.
For best packaging practice:
- Utilise print and label systems to ensure all goods have readable and correct information on each.
- Put Advanced Shipping Notifications policies in place.
- Decide on a well-written returns policy that to prevent any miscommunication.
- Take note of every product coming in and out of the warehouse. A good Warehouse Management System will take control of this process, so you don’t have to.
- Ensure minimal touch of products. The use of efficient labels and correct information on products should prevent this.
- Implement strict picking and packing procedures for all warehouse staff to follow. This will make less room for error.
- Invest in automation. Technology that can collect data, take note of product locations and print labels is key to the perfect packaging process.
- Use cross-docking directly to delivery to minimise material handling.
- Put vendor compliance protocols in place.
- Consider reviewing the supply chain on a regular basis to stay up to date on the best processes.
Not only do we pick and pack for you, but we can also deliver it to your desired destination.
Tech-savvy consumers are having a significant impact on e-commerce businesses. The concern behind security when placing an online order is long in the past. Now every person and their grandmother are buying from e-commerce businesses. Businesses need to...